Article I – Name and Structure
The name of this organization shall be “Oak Park Community Garden” (OPCG). This association is formed as an activity committee of the Community Foundation for Oak Park.
Article II – Purpose
The purpose of OPCG is to promote, create, and maintain community and home gardening in Oak Park, and to encourage community involvement in the betterment of the community, while providing members with the joys of gardening.
Article III – Membership and Dues
- A membership is for a single household.
- Membership shall be available to any household that agrees to subscribe to the By-Laws of OPCG.
- Memberships shall run from January 1 through December 31 of each year, but members may join at any time during the year. Rental fees are $120.00 per year, prorated monthly, and are to be paid by December 31 for continuing members. Additional parcels may be rented at a reduced rate of $80.00 per year, also eligible to be prorated. A thirty day grace period is granted on membership renewal. If rental fees and completed membership forms are not received by the end of the grace period, then the member shall lose their membership and all Oak Park Community Garden privileges.
- Each membership shall be entitled to one vote in matters concerning revisions to the By-Laws, Rules and Regulations, or other issues put before the general membership of OPCG for approval.
Article IV – Elections and Officers
- Elections of Directors shall be held annually in January’s general meeting, with each membership having one vote for each elected office.
- A member who wishes to hold a Director position may submit a nomination form to the current Board of Directors. Nomination forms shall be sent out on October 1st to all members. Nomination forms can be mailed to the OPCG post office box or presented at the October or January general meeting. The deadline for submitting nominations is the January general meeting.
- The Board of Directors (Directors) shall consist of a maximum of seven Directors. Directors shall include the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and up to three additional positions as deemed necessary by the Directors. The members shall individually elect the Directors from the membership of OPCG.
- Directors shall perform the duties usually connected with such offices and shall perform other duties as the Directors may specify.
- Vacancies in any seat shall be filled for the un-expired term by appointment of the Directors within thirty days.
- Directors may establish and abolish standing and special committees.
Article V – Meetings
- General meetings shall be held quarterly at a place and time determined by the Directors. Special meetings to accomodate guest speakers or otherwise benefit the organization may be called at any other time with at least three weeks prior notification to the membership
- Directors shall hold a Board Meeting within two weeks prior to any regularly scheduled general meeting.
- Official decisions shall require only a simple majority of the Directors present, at any board meeting, as long as a quorum of a majority of the Directors is present.
- At general meetings, decisions shall be made by a simple majority of the members present. When the place and time of a general meeting is announced to the members with at least three weeks prior notice, no fixed quorum is required. When less than three weeks notice is given, a quorum shall consist of at least one-third of the eligible voting membership.
Article VI – Amendments
- These By-Laws and the Rules and Regulations of the Oak Park Community Garden may be amended at any general meeting, when approved by two thirds of the members present. Prior to the vote, notice of the changes, along with a written copy of the changes, shall be given to the members. This must be done a minimum of two weeks before the meeting that precedes the meeting at which the vote is taken. The changes will be read to the members at both of these meetings.
- No amendment of the By-Laws shall become effective until two weeks after ratification by the Board of Trustees of the Community Foundation for Oak Park. Amendments to the Rules and Regulation of the Oak Park Community Garden are subject to approval of the Rancho Simi Recreation and Park District.
Article VII – Standing Rules
- All checks disbursed by the Treasurer shall require two signatures: President and Treasurer or other persons authorized by the Board.
- All expenses shall be pre-approved by the Directors. Receipts shall be submitted for any reimbursement.
- An auditor appointed by the President shall audit the accounts of the Oak Park Community Garden annually or whenever directed by a majority vote of the Directors.
- All records of the OPCG shall be available to the Community Foundation for Oak Park.